Court upholds defendant’s statements made during booking

Defendant was convicted of attempted illegal reentry and making a false claim to U.S. citizenship. Appellant testified at trial that he did not attempt to reenter the U.S., but was only seeking help for a painful jaw injury. The prosecution impeached appellant’s testimony with the fact that he did not mention the jaw injury when he was asked about his health during the booking process after he was arrested. Appellant answered these booking questions after invoking his Miranda rights. On appeal, appellant argued that this impeachment evidence violated his constitutional rights under Doyle v. Ohio (1976) 426 U.S. 610. Held: Reversed. When a defendant invokes his right to remain silent and an omission in his post-Miranda statements is arguably inconsistent with his trial testimony, the omission cannot be used to impeach him if he chooses to testify at trial. However, a direct inconsistency between the post-Miranda statements and the defendant’s trial testimony may be used for impeachment. Here, appellant’s statements to the booking officer were not directly inconsistent with his trial testimony as the questions did not directly call for appellant to mention his jaw injury. It was only the fact that he never mentioned his jaw injury that was relevant to impeach him. As a result, the impeachment evidence operated as an impermissible comment on appellant’s silence in violation of Doyle. Because the violation was not harmless beyond a reasonable doubt, reversal was required.  Thanks to CCAP for the summary of case law and contributions to this blog.

7 Responses to Court upholds defendant’s statements made during booking

1. Social Security Disability Lawyer Omaha NE says:

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Looking
    at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He continually kept preaching about this. I am going to forward this information to him.
    Pretty sure he’s going to have a very good read.
    Thanks for sharing!

2. dui first off offense says:

Hi there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.

A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

3. bankruptcy attorney fees says:

Hey there! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate!

He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article
    to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you
    for sharing!

4. lawyer says:

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed
    reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog
    and will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!

5. Grand Rapids criminal defense attorney says:

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility issues?
    A couple of my blog readers have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix
    this issue?

6. buy computers us says:

What i do not understood is in reality how you’re now noot really much more smartly-favored than yoou might be now. You are very intelligent. You realize thus significantly in terms of this DUI matter, produced me for my part imagine it from a lot of varied angles.
    Its like men and women don’t seem to be involved until it is one thing too doo with Lady gaga!
    Your personal stuffs great. Always handle it up!

7. Jessica says:

I savor, lead to I found just what I was taking a look for.
    You have ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.
    Bye